The NAB AFL Auskick program makes learning to play AFL fun, safe and easy for boys and girls. Through weekly coaching sessions they will learn the skills of the game in an exciting, social and safe environment.
Children will learn the fundamental motor skills vital for future physical activity and sport participation as well as learning how to interact with other children as part of a team in small group activities.
The program also provides a great opportunity for parents to interact with their kids through the activities, have the opportunity to make new friends, learn about the game and spend quality time with their children.
We have also secured the new synthetic oval at Blackman Oval for the entire season. This oval is unaffected by rain and wet weather. We are very lucky, if you haven’t seen it yet, you will be very impressed – the envy of all lower north shore footy clubs!
An example of what you can expect at a typical Auskick session includes:
- Warm up games/activities
- Skills i.e. Kicking, marking, handballing, bouncing
- Grid/modified game
- Encouragement awards, drinks and departure
When does Auskick start?
- The Auskick Coordinators will be at the ground from 8:15am. We will have Size 1 footys for you to kick to kick with your kids. Drills and activities then commence at 8:30am.
- This is most important – we really emphasise this part of the session (family involvement).
- The NAB AFL Auskick program is for primary school aged children 5 to 12. (Children must turn 5 in the calendar year to participate)
What should kids wear to Auskick?
- We will hand out Auskick Packs and inside the packs you will find (along with caps and footys, pumps, etc) a Lane Cove CATS Jumper, shorts and socks. We have estimated sizes based on age. Try and make do. They are designed to be a little tight. We run size 6 and size 8 for Auskick. The jumpers are all long sleeved (to help keep them warm in the winter). Get the kids straight into the gear on Week 1. They are to be returned at the end of the Season.
- Other than that, there is really no set uniform for Auskick sessions, just general sports clothing and either runners for football boots will be fine.
Who delivers Auskick sessions?
- We have a great team of AFL credited coach running our Auskick program. Please click here to view a list of all the Auskick coaches in 2015.
- We will distribute all the kids into groups for Week 1 also. It will be broken up the same as last season – by age. Team Blue (Older kids, the Cats), Team Red (Swans) and then the little ones Team Orange (Giants). Each team will have a dedicated Auskick Coordinator to run around with them, guide them to skills locations, etc.
How long does the Auskick session last for?
- The Auskick session run for approximately 60 mins. This includes a modified game of AFL at the end.
Can I get involved?
- Absolutely! Get involved, stand behind the goals and throw back footys, be goal umpires, help keep your kids focused.. Yell support – we have a very positive environment at Auskick. Skills of kids go from not being able to kick a footy through to kicking goals on the run from 25m out. We will cater and motivate all of them.
RECEIVE OUR NEWS
Join our mailing list to receive our latest news and support the Lane Cove Cats.
The Family Friendly Junior AFL Club.